Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bowls' MacLean's "Dream"



Here's a blast from past pulled deep from the annals of "Bowls & Mugs". This was a short that Bowls directed where I got to participate almost exclusively as an actor (which, afterward, gave me just pause to pursue it as a career!). I also helped "score" the movie on my 4-track tape recorder using my new guitar effects pedal. You can even hear Bowls whispering, "This ssssucks!" on the audio track, but somehow, with enough reverb, we managed to keep in. This was shot in the apartment that we shared with Chris Sebela and Scott Greene in Edgewater, Chicago, which was more like a house with its downstairs rooms (both occupied by Bowls and myself... art imitiating life, hmmm). My belovedly deformed cat, Repugnance, was a new resident at our duplex and so we naturally worked her in as well. I was finishing up shooting FAMILY TIE and mentally getting ready to move out to NYC and start up GOD with Danny.

Truth be told, I had nearly forgotten about this project until years later when Bowls told me that he'd finally edited "Dream." I was like, "You edited what? When did we do this?"

But probably the best story about DREAM is how I managed to use perscription eye-drops for one of the cats to generate some tears. The solution dilated my pupils to painfully wide black holes in spite of whatever light was in the room. This happened the night before Chris and I were set to go on a road trip to Kentucky to see Ray Davies perform, then up to Sandusky, OH to spend a day at the amusement park Cedar Point. The constantly blinding sunlight beneath my sunglasses on top of sunglasses wore me out mentally and physically. It was a lesson learned the hard way, even though, as an adult male, it should have never happened in the first place!

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home