Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chicane Rhames Eats



In my recent efforts to consolidate my VHS collection into bare essentials and archive my personal home videos, I found this piece of footage showcasing my pet snake devouring a large mouse. The snake was named Chicane Rhames - Chicane short for chicanery and Rhames after the actor Ving Rhames because he was so badass in the ubercool Pulp Fiction movie which had just come out (late 1994). You can hear my brother and then-girlfriend Jen Yarling briefly exchanging words before the mouse meets its grim fate. I've cut this down actually quite a bit - the raw footage spans roughly 20 minutes or so - and I found a piece of music which was approximately the same length as my edit: Nico's Chelsea Girls.

Chicane was a nefarious sort of creature. She (yes, it was a she) was very moody and was prone to wrap herself around the arm or neck of whomever was holding her. I remember a few times starting to fear for my life as i felt the blood rush to my head and my air flow was slowly cut off as she tightened her muscles around my neck. Chicane had also snapped at me a few times when i went to take her out of her cage. As you can see in this video, when the snake strikes it's very quick and violent and it's not fun to be on the receiving end of such a bite. After all, snakes got lots of little teeth! After two years of caring for the snake I found a new caretaker (aka sucker!) in my friend Lee Nachtigal. Apparently she struck at Lee a few times as well and so, after owning her for a year, she called the department of animal control and they took Chicane away. Where she is now is anyone's guess.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home